10.29.2004

in which i confront suffering of change as regards fairy dresses

Wednesday night, MSH got home from work shortly after I got home from the hardware store/Display & Costume scrum. It was 3-0 at the bottom of the 7th. Into the car we leapt and drove to Duke's Chowder House to have a beer and watch the game. I cannot truly be called a Red Sox fan; as previously noted, my hatred for the Yankees eclipses (ha ha!) all positive fandom. But it was pretty incredible--seemed like the world won't be quite the same without Boston fan's baseball bitterness. I love it when they all pile out of the dugout and convene in a wild mosh pit of joy-- I love that moment.

Speaking of the eclipse, I watched totality begin at the top of my street with two neighbors I'd never met before--Mark and his small son Teddy. Teddy kept saying adorable things such as: If the moon was a pie, what kind of pie would it be? and What if we never go to bed?

So for about 9 months, I've been planning to go as a blue fairy for Halloween. The centerpiece of my planned costume was a periwinkle-blue dress I wore in my sister's wedding. Wednesday night, having spent my costume budget on makeup and fairy wings, I returned home to see about the fairy modifications to this dress. Only....no dress. I must have gotten rid of it. My nuclear family, who think me a Ruthless Minimalist, will no doubt be amused and somehow vindicated. Now relative to my husband, I'm a packrat. Against my raising, I now get rid of clothing I haven't worn in two years, and books I dislike or am NEVER going to read. This is the first time I've missed something I got rid of!

So yesterday at lunch I went to Value Village, where I bought a foundation garment, if you will--a slightly purplish slip/nightie. Then to the fabric store for blue fabric and trim. Lastnight I spent several delightful hours at the sewing machine--no patterns, few pins, lots of slashing and dashing. It's a bit messy and scrappy, but hey, fairies aren't known for their button-down sense of style. I covered up almost all of the nightie by sewing pieces of fabric and ribbon ONTO it. Hence avoiding construction of an actual garment. Then I had to make a fairy crown out of wire and beads, it's pretty lame actually....I was up until midnight and awoke with considerably less enthusiasm for Halloween and lots of enthusiasm for sleeeeeeeep. But I rallied, and even did a decent job with the blue eyeshadow. Since I never wear makeup, it has double the impact when I actually put it on. Tomorrow night when I dress up, I have real face paint, and I'm going to attempt to do a butterfly on my face, and blue on the non-butterfly parts of my face. If it's a success, maybe I'll try to post a photo on my blog!

1 Comments:

Blogger AH said...

Now on P&N to see the blue fruits of your craft marathon!

10:43 AM, October 29, 2004

 

Post a Comment

<< Home