5.24.2005

I love being a FREAK!!!

You know that GAP commercial with lots of pink and khaki and Sarah Jessica “My head is disproportionately large compared to my undernourished body” Parker is dancing and skipping and singing some dry-heave-inducing song to the effect that she “love(s) being a girl!”?

If they haven’t already, someone needs to make a blackly comic parody of that commercial. Here is a handy list of elements to incorporate:

-pants won’t fit because of PMS-induced bloating
-breasts hurt periodically
-getting paid less for the same job
-higher incidence of clinical depression
-wearing uncomfortable shoes
-possibility of body being hijacked by proto-human for nine months
etc.

I’m not feeling particularly bitter about being a woman; I could come up with an even longer list of things I like (that time I batted my eyelashes and got on the Bainbridge Island ferry for free), but that commercial really deserves a brutal riposte. Alas, with my lack of technical knowhow, it shall not be me. So just imagine it for me, dear reader.

1 Comments:

Blogger Felicity said...

Felicity has not seen this coy-mercial. However, she thinks it likely that this is the song 'I Enjoy Being a Girl' from the underrated Rogers UND Hammerstein musical 'Flower Drum Song', which has long labored in obscurity due to its unluckiness in requiring an all-Asian cast and having odd stereotypes of Asians THROUGHOUT.

Please confirm: does this seem like the song?

I'm a girl, and by me that's only great!
I am proud that my silhouette is curvy,
That I walk with a sweet and girlish gait
With my hips kind of swivelly and swervy.

I adore being dressed in something frilly
When my date comes to get me at my place.
Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy,
Like a filly who is ready for the race!

When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl,
I float as the clouds on air do,
I enjoy being a girl!

et cetera...

One of several such songs, including "How Lovely to be a Woman" from "Bye Bye Birdie" and, with only a slight paradigm shift, "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood" from "Camelot".

Yes, your sister is a BIG DORK.

3:02 PM, May 24, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home