8.31.2005

Donut SMACKDOWN!!!

NOTE: The views expressed herein, just as in every post on this blog, reflect the personal observations and opinions of the writer, (not her employer, for example) and constitute protected speech under the First Amendment. So don't sue me!

As previously noted in this space, To* *ot Donuts is putting in a new store on my way to work, at 35th NE and NE 70th. So, I returned from my brief sojourn in the Southwest, wondering if I would see any visible progress at their storefront. I didn't. I did stop at Gratefu* Brea* Bakery, home of extraordinary bagels, cookies, sandwiches, breads, and other yum yums (but steer clear of the quiches) directly across the street, noticing that their marquee now confrontationally declares "We have real donuts." (This is possibly a jab at the fact that To* *ot installed a giant cast-iron donut on top of their building a few months ago, but continues to futz around with internal improvements and landscaping instead of the manufacture of actual donuts.) I had previously learned that Gratefu* Brea* was very concerned about how To* Po* would impact the coffee portion of their business, and had thrown up some sort of legal barrier at some point, since overcome.

Inside, as I ordered my everythingbageltoastedlightcreamcheese, I heard a loyal patron at the next register declaring that she would never buy anything "over there!" I said to my cashier, "It doesn't matter because they're never going to open, anyway!"
CASHIER: Do you know how long they've been working on it?
ME: Since last October or November?
CASHIER: They've been working on it for a year and a half.
ME: Really?
CASHIER: They're going on a half-million dollars.

Another cashier went on to say that a large Seattle-based coffee chain has bought them out and that's part of the delay. I don't know how the employees of Gratefu* Brea* could reliably possess either piece of information, and hence, am skeptical. (The Marmot is skeptical!)

I personally think To* *ot has their priorities messed up. I understand the benefits of opening an utterly aesthetically pleasing store, but maybe start selling the donuts before installing the giant palm tree and the giant cast-iron donut? The people want the donuts (and the coffee,) they don't want your em-effin' palm tree.

I know, I shouldn't care so much, but this perpetual preparation for opening is almost more annoying to me real-estate wise than fallow real estate (ie, empty lot or boarded-up building--in an urban area--whilst developers in the suburbs merrily pave over meadow and forest.) Now, the To* *ot corporation does not exist to please me. But this blog does. So I'm gonna say it when I think it. And I like To* *ot, but the incident infused me with a loyalty to Gratefu* Brea* which previously wasn't so strong. So I hereby vow not to darken the door of To* *ot Wedgwood, should they ever see fit to open it. But then again: I'm trying to get into better shape, so I don't need a donut, and I hate coffee, so I'm not sure what my troth is worth.

Speaking of donuts, I'm really looking forward to visiting this establishment during my upcoming ten-year high school reunion. If you're thinking to yourself, "hmm, high school reunion, that should be good for a few laughs," you're right. At least I hope you're right! And if you're wanting to quibble about the way I spell donut, bring it!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work but a block from Voodoo. They are amazing! Not in the diet plan, but amazing nonetheless. Welcome back, dear marmot!

2:11 PM, August 31, 2005

 
Blogger Amy said...

I'm disappointed. Your title led me to believe that in this blog there would be actual donut-on-donut deep-hurting carnage. Or, minimally, donut vs. pastry or perhaps bagel. But instead I get acute socio-economic observations and philosophical thoughts on the Seattle food industry. What's up with that?
I would actually trust the behind-the-counter personnel at the place across the street. If food service is anything like retail, if you want dirt on an operation, you go ask the clerks at the place next door or across the way. Because that's all you have to do all day in a job like that is bitch about customers and grind away on the industrial espionage rumor mill.

9:56 PM, September 01, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have it on good authority that the top pot is actually opening next week! 9/16!!! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

4:24 PM, September 08, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The place across the street will open its doors for business Friday, Sept. 23rd. Pouring and grinding the terrazzo floors took forever. This is the third store and, no, TP has not been bought by some big company. The owners live in North Seattle unlike the owners of GB wo live in Yarrow Point.

11:25 AM, September 14, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home