8.31.2006

dash

Kids, I'm sorry my posts have been less frequent than days without car bombings in Baghdad, but I have been a) so busy it's hard to find time to pee b) on vacation at my Grandma with 'net access circa '94 BUT HEY she's got it! and then c) again, with the business and not so much with the peeing!

So! We're going to hit it hard and fast, like that horrible feature at the end of E! News LIve where a rapper runs down the week's entertainment gossip.

Speaking of which, my favorite photo of the week via the brilliant blogger who brought you the term "sideboobery." I'm just putting the link so the dedicated will cut and paste, because I ate a doughnut half an hour ago so my mind is racing and homey don't remember the little html tag whatnot for embedded links. SORRY!

http://thesuperficial.com/image.php?path=/2006/08/30/jessica_simpson_yahoo_02.jpg

BUT I DIGRESS! IT'S THE SUGAR!

I still have no yoga business cards. I still have not sought yogic employment outside my own dear studio, but have heard from 4 more people comments along the lines of: "You should teach at my gym; the yoga teacher there is not so good." New goal: graphic artist in NC notwithstanding, I will get a plain, simple, but high-quality business card, to be distributed with half-sheet flyer topics of which: Why I am the shizzle. Why Barkan yoga is the shizzle.

I did not teach last week. :( But! I taught last night and BOY HOWDY there were 18 students, five of which were new. The newbies did VERY WELL. I managed the timing OK even though with all the paperwork (new people) and renting of mats and purchasing of packages I started a few minutes late. This was the first time teaching where I neither consulted my notes during the day, beforehand, nor brought in my little cheat sheet with the Bikram order of poses. And I think, without the Dumbo's feather of studying my notes, I was forced to project more confidence. At one point I was about to take the kids from Standing Sep Leg Stretching into Standing Sep Leg Forehead to Knee and I KNEW I was missing something. So I asked the class! And they knew: Triangle! Hello! So I just kind of laughed and said glibly "Triangle! HOw could I forget?! My favorite pose! The climax of the standing series!" and moved them smoothly into the pose. My good friend was taking the class, first she'd taken from me since I got back from training and was favorably impressed overall, helpfully recommended more Voice! Projection! and said the Triangle incident didn't harm my credibility too much. After all: Krista forgets poses sometimes and she just laughs it off. My friend's dearest praise was that my class provided positive energy--thus it is TRULY my heart intention that is getting through to my students. (Ergo, they are not sitting there and nitpicking "She said the same thing on the other side! She didn't leave us in that pose long enough! She's not giving us enough information about this pose!" like *I* am.) That makes me so happy! What we say and *how* we say it truly affects those around us, in any context.

My main joy/frustration remains the fact that I LOVE teaching and the more I do it the more I *want* to do it and because of many factors, financial and personal (see the paragraph with the business card procrastination,) I'm not doing it as much as I'd like. With rare exception (like the two days I took off to visit my grandma) I am working 7-8 hours per day at a desk. THE MARMOT WANTS TO TEACH YOGA FULL-TIME!!! Or at least half-time, thankee very much.

I hope to have good news on the subject for you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home