1.30.2008

Breakfast, Sleep, Mom & Baby Yoga

Last week I was SO HUNGRY by the time I got around to lunch. A bowl of cold cereal with nuts and raisins was not cutting it. So I've started making myself a "power smoothie" every morning--easy to prepare and quick to drink, but high protein--

cup or so of frozen fruit
three big spoons of whole milk plain yogurt
some orange juice
two med. spoons of almond butter
two tbsp flax-seed oil (for Omega-3)
one banana, cut up

It is so yummy! And after I drink it, I stop being hungry for a while. My lactation consultant godmother suggests mid-morning snacks, as well. Today I went to the store and got some spirulina/veggie powder to make the smoothie even healthier!

The big news around here is that baby slept through the night! He ate at 8:30, and between 9 and 10 sometime, we did a little baby massage--I have a little booklet and some grapeseed oil to use, so I tried it. It was so much fun! He was so engaged and charming, and really seemed to enjoy it. When he quit looking interested, I stopped and got him into his jammies. Then he fell asleep around 11:30. MSH and I went to bed then, too, thinking he would wake up in like a half an hour to eat. But no--I woke myself up at 5:15 and rushed to see if he was dead! He has been eating lots more, so presumably his stomach's getting bigger, but nine hours without eating?! He was sleeping peacefully, didn't really seem like he was even starting to wake up (he usually grunts and starts to wake up and falls back asleep several times.) I was so freaked I woke him up and fed him. And do you know what he did after that? DO YOU!?!? He...went back to sleep. Wow. I went back to sleep, too. I feel so rested, I could pull the wings off a gundark!

Last Tuesday I went to a Mom & Baby yoga class for the first time. The class was wonderful. It's fun to see other babies. (The 11 month old next to us looked simply HUGE next to my baby!) The babies just lie on a blanket or in their car seat carriers, the moms do the yoga. But if a baby fusses, the teacher comes and holds the baby while she teaches! Bonus. One of the gifts of yoga is that you're more aware of your posture, etc., when you're NOT doing yoga. You end up doing some funky "poses" as a mom and especially when nursing, it's good to have that lingering after-effect from yoga class, reminding you to relax the shoulders and realign the spine.

Unfortunately I won't be going to that particular Mom & Baby yoga class again, since my PEPS group started this week, at the same time. (This being Seattle, there are more Mom & Baby yoga classes, of course.) I love PEPS so far. Sharing ideas is so cool and it's nice to have a safe space to just share your experiences. All the babies are pretty much in the same two-month span of age. I can tell it's going to be a lot of fun and I've already gotten some good ideas for outings.(like mom & baby movies!)

And now, it's time for a diaper change, and you bet your sweet ass, some baby massage!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Greetings!

I too am in a PEPS group now at the Tuesday 10am timeframe which still conflicts with the 8 Limbs 11am class. Have you found an alternative Mommy and Me yoga class? Sophia is 8 months now and I would really like to find one that doesn't conflict with PEPS.

Best, Kimberley

10:36 AM, March 07, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home