9.22.2004

Wednesday Morning

This morning saw us rising early, dressing in running togs in the bathroom so as not to disturb the sleeping MSH, and fixing a bowl of oatmeal preparatory to a bracing run at Green Lake with Hellcat.

Capital.

Now we are at work. Trying to concentrate on some boring shiznat and failing utterly.

Ah, more about North Dakota. I have this to say about the denizens of the northern Midwest. They are very, VERY nice. I have a friend who hails from there who is sweetness personified and I always thought it was just her and I'm sure she would be even if she was born on the bayou or the Rhine or anywhere BUT it seems to be a cultural thing. From the moment I got off the plane at our stopover in Minneapolis, people were striking up conversation in the bathroom like I was an old friend. As you can imagine, the effect was more pronounced at the family reunion, where I found everyone to be warm, kind and mostly working very hard to make a living. There was little discussion of politics at the reunion. (Reunion activities: eating, brief outlines of individual family histories by the Ten Cousins, talking, looking at pictures.) However, the area of Minot in general had lots of jingoistic rah rahs (Support the Troops, which I do, and God Bless America, about which I have more and graver reservations) on its marquees, readerboards, and bumpers. I can't help thinking, these people are farmers and hunters. They're all actually Democrats!!! It's just that the Republicans have excellent marketing, the Democrats have poor marketing, and the abortion red herring mucks it all up.

Have I mentioned that I heard John Kerry on the radio the other day saying "heavens to betsy?" Holy shit, dude. Winners don't say heavens to betsy. In the words of Private Hudson, "we're in some real pretty shit now."

1 Comments:

Blogger Felicity said...

I am a loser.

I say 'heavens to Betsy' all the time.

Also, the slightly stronger 'heavens to Murgatroyd.'

8:52 AM, September 23, 2004

 

Post a Comment

<< Home