12.28.2005

The Marmot Comes Clean

(This just in: It has turned into a beautiful 50-degree day! If you think that's an oxymoron...I guess you haven't lived here very long. Sun shining? Check! Sky blue? Check! That does it for me.)

I am a big snob when it comes to vocabulary, spelling, and grammar. I get incensed at inappropriate apostrophes (ie, "Try Our Delicious Burger's!",) the oft-forgotten p in raspberry, and my real pet peeve is when people say less instead of fewer. ("There were less people in here today than yesterday.") There are, of course, many more. I'm currently reading this book and I've enjoyed it so far. So thought it would be a good exercise in humility for me to reveal to you the habitual errors I make when writing.

The worst I only recently discovered. Microsoft Word has probably been trying to alert me to this for years and I just never noticed--I type lastnight instead of last night. All the time. I just noticed this about three months ago and I've been trying to break myself of it, but I fear it's a losing battle. In my addled brain, it's one word, like yesterday.

The word cocoon--I really want to put another c in it!

And, on occasion I have written your when I meant you're and vice versa, but I usually catch myself!

There are probably many more--I'll post as I notice them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it's "transferred" and "traveling". The first needs to just have one "r" in my world and the second needs to have two "l"'s. When I rule the world, that change will be made (along with the 2-day work week and 5-day weekend).

kc

4:51 PM, December 28, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me just tell you that last week, the elementary school by our house had a message on their reader board that said "thank you _______ pizza, your the best."

can you imagine my horror as i pulled onto my street and saw this? i almost ran down there with a sharpie...but it was fixed the next day.

*A

10:56 AM, December 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home