5.24.2007

So you don't think I'm obsessing about the toe

A momentous occasion today, as I went shopping for maternity clothes for the first time. I went to a consignment shop in Greenwood. They only had one rack, but I got a top and jeans. The maternity jeans actually fit me well now, they are just really stretchy. I'm dubious whether they're going to be stretchy enough for nine months--depends how I carry. But they are cooler than any of my current jeans, so I thought for $13 I'd better buy them!

The top is one of those giant tent-like sleeveless maternity blouses. I don't like it much, but it's black, so I suppose I'll wear it at some point. Maybe on our trip to Europe. I need to find some more form-fitting stuff. Not that I just want to show off the belly when it develops (which I do) but I like to wear close-fitting tops. So I don't see that changing just because I'm pregnant. Maybe I'll change my mind when it's 87 degrees out, but after spending most of last summer in South Florida, where it was hotter and OMG much more humid, I'm not sure the Seattle summer scares me.

I guess I wasn't quite honest--I did buy two tops at H&M in San Francisco last week, but they don't count because they're not "maternity." One is just super long, and the other one is one of the myriad tops in malls right now that look like maternity wear, but aren't, and only look flattering on Very Thin People. Everyone else, methinks they make one look...pregnant.

In case you were wondering whether I'm just floating along in a sea of Pregnancy Stuff, I just finished an 870-page book: Citizens by Simon Schama. It is a chronicle of the French Revolution and it was a fascinating read. You may think that a bunch of hungry people got pissed off and overthrew the government--oh no no no it was not so simple! The author succeeds in pulling in many, many threads, but begins each section with a snapshot of one person's story, and in general describes the background and motivation of key characters, so you get what I think of as Juicy Bits. There's plenty of detail, but he effectively makes his points--that a cultural and social elite was a catalyst for the Revolution and in some respects led it, that the Revolution wrote checks no governmental body could cash so it was bound to disappoint the People it purported to lift up, and that wholesale, methodical violence was a logical consequence of violent language. The last part of the book in particular, which describes the counter-Revolution and the Terror, is far from light reading but frankly it's less disturbing than some of the pregnancy books I was reading a while ago. You read along, and it's all pony rides in May sunshine with the development of your fetus, and WHAM! There's a sidebar about molar pregnancy or some crap which affects like half of one percent of pregnancies. There is no good reason for me to read that kind of twoddle! If it happens, I will see a doctor, and it will suck BIGTIME but in the meantime to know of this possibility causes me stress! And guess who gets stressed out as soon as I do? THE LITTLE BUD IN MY BELLY! Nobody is benefited by my reading about these rare conditions and defects. I do not want to read about that crap so I've been proceeding in my pregnancy reading very gingerly.

And in case you forgot about the toe, I got some natural ointment stuff (pregnancy safe!) to speed healing of my toe. I taped Little Toe to his brother toe today. So far so good.

I just got a pregnancy yoga DVD in the mail. I'll report soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home