5.11.2007

Tip for Teachers: Saying No

Despite the new "rule" I'd set for myself that I wasn't going to teach two classes in one day, since I've lacked stamina and gained nausea during this first trimester of pregnancy, I taught four classes in 26 hours Wednesday and Thursday. Two of those were "special favors" for a studio where the usual teacher of those classes has been sick and is losing her voice. By the fourth class, *I* was starting to lose my voice. I guess I've lost some voice stamina, too.

It's important as a teacher to know the limits of your body, your mind, your energy. Everyone's limits are different, but once you've become aware of them, respect them. It's not like a desk job where you can do it for eight hours a day, five days a week. Studio owners trying to get classes covered aren't necessarily looking out for you or your health; they're looking to cover the classes because that's what they need to keep their business running. Don't let studio owners guilt or manipulate you into overworking yourself.

For the most part I thought I taught good classes, but last night and into today I have been bone tired. And I don't use that term lightly--I mean my bones and joints are heavy and achy.

This is mostly a letter to myself--probably more than most I want to receive approval (especially from those in authority) and make everybody happy. This is a recipe to make myself unhappy. You can't be of best benefit to others if you are physically and mentally depleted. As my teacher says, you must have compassion for yourself in order to have compassion for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home