11.23.2010

My Brest Friend vs. Boppy: It ain't even close.

I've had two babies, and breastfed them both. With my first, I'd inherited two Boppy breastfeeding cushions from friends, and I used them. I had some problems breastfeeding toward the beginning, but was able to work them out with the help of a lactation consultant, and things went well. He breastfed for a little over a year. A friend of mine in my moms' group at the time sang the praises of a different breastfeeding cushion, the My Brest Friend. I remember she said it was great, but lamented that it had such a lame name.

Remembering her rave reviews, when I was pregnant a second time, I invested in a new My Brest Friend. Baby and I were blessed with an uncomplicated labor and birth, and I started using the My Brest Friend to feed him right away, in the hospital room. Within a week of baby #2's birth, I had put both my Boppies in the Goodwill bin, and bought a second My Brest Friend (to have in another room, and because, let's face it, your breastfeeding cushion is going to get pooped on and you'll need to wash the cover!)

Certainly a catchier name would help the My Brest Friend, but My Brest Friend is superior to Boppy in every respect that matters.

What Makes My Brest Friend better than the Boppy:

1. The Strap
My Brest Friend straps around you with an easy-release buckle that can be unbuckled with one hand. This means MBF stays put, giving you both hands free as you position baby to feed. With the Boppy, you're positioning baby with one hand, and awkwardly clutching the Boppy with the other, trying to keep it from sliding away from you and baby. Needless to say, this makes the Boppy infuriating, impractical, and it doesn't really promote the relaxation necessary for milk to let down.

2. Firmer, flatter cushion
My Brest Friend is made from a firm, extremely sturdy structured foam. It has a more or less flat top, with two slightly raised bumps to give baby's head a little extra elevation. (The promotional photos for My Brest Friend always show the baby's head resting on mom's forearm which rests on the cushion, and that's how I use it 99% of the time.) Boppy is filled with some kind of softer stuffing, into a rounded shape. So, no firm support, and the surface of the Boppy doesn't come right up against you like MBF does. Boppy's rounded shape creates a crack between Boppy and you, into which your newborn's head can slip, pushing the Boppy further away from you (see item 1.)

3. Back support.
The My Brest Friend goes all the way around you, providing some cushioned support at your lower back. You still need a really good chair, but that back support does make a difference.

So why is Boppy still more popular? And stocked in more stores? (You can't buy My Brest Friend at our local Target, and I assume this is often the case at big-box stores where most expectant moms register.) It's just marketing, market penetration (in case that's something different,) and, yes, the name. It's a case of VHS and Beta, Beta being the superior technology (My Brest Friend) and despite this, VHS (Boppy) catching on. I honestly believe if more moms were able to use the My Brest Friend, more moms would be able to breastfeed successfully.

While Beta has come and gone, I think My Brest Friend still has a chance--spread the word! Word of mouth is still powerful, especially in Mom Land. Do your duty, reader(s.)

Should you live in Seattle, I recommend buying the My Brest Friend at Birth and Beyond, a fabulous baby store.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home