1.19.2005

book preview

I am only in the introduction (first chapter?), but am already enjoying _Home Comforts: the Art & Science of Keeping House_ by Cheryl Mendelson. Here is my favorite sentence so far--an obvious idea, surely, but one that rang deep and true:

"Many people lead deprived lives in houses filled with material luxury."

Further update when I finish the book. (Some of it is reference material so I may start skimming. In fact, I assure you I'll start skimming at some point because it is due soon and it's 882 pages including the index!) It's divided into sections such as: Neatening (yes please!), Ironing (yes, please SEND HELP!), and Domestic Employment Laws (I'm OK, thanks), facilitating the skipping of information currently deemed irrelevant to myself.

If I find this book as informative and valuable as I anticipate, I may purchase it. You may not think this is a big deal, but I really have to LIKE (like LIKE like) a book to choose to keep it in my house. Big commitment. That is why I enjoy my public library. No commitment. Fabulous selection. Convenient in-neighborhood pickup. Rah rah, sis boom bah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home