1.18.2005

east coast speak

I used to watch NYPD Blue regularly, and when there was some kind of snit in the precinct or somebody needed some help, the parlance of their times was for one cop to "reach out" to another one. (I guess this meant making a personal connection instead of engaging in tough guy small talk.)

I was just on the phone with a woman in the legal department at a company in Pennsylvania, trying to get them to pay their invoice. She said the woman who's responsible for these things (apparently not her) is "unresponsive to [her]." (She didn't volunteer the woman's name--that would be my next step, but I didn't want to press her--I'm non-confrontational.) She ended by saying she would "reach out to [this woman] one more time."

V. thrilling. Mike and I always kind of mocked this phrase because it didn't seem like something a New York cop would say, but at least now we know people on the East Coast do say it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home