10.04.2006

gettin' the party started

My first Monday night class (two days ago) had nine students not including my husband! So on the bright side, I'll be paid. Of course, many of the students came expecting Power Vinyasa since until four days prior, flyers at the studio had been advertising the time slot as such! Oh well, bait and switch if you have to, I guess. No one seemed visibly disgruntled, in fact people seemed to like it. As usual, I thought I'd done terribly but MSH said it was awesome and when I pressed him, he said it was better than last time. Before leaving for the studio I did a short breathing meditation and really focused on my intention for teaching. I think it helped because when I forgot which pose was next I just glided into whichever pose came to mind. Which is really OK since in Barkan you can switch it around and none of the students were prepared for a particular order anyway. I do need to memorize a sequence (any sequence! j/k) and study more in general. The learning never ends!

My afternoons away from the office continue to be only moderately productive as regards obtaining yoga work. Today I did come up with new ideas on where to teach. And I searched the internet for support/materials for newly certified yoga teachers. Guess what? There kind of isn't any. (PLEASE comment if you can prove me wrong!) I guess when I have half a clue what I'm doing I should set up an online community for folks like me. If only I knew how to do that. I did post a comment for Erica Rodefer, oh she who has been blogging about her teacher training over at Yoga Journal. So we'll see if she has any ideas on reading material for We the Newly Minted Yoga Teachers. Of course, I do feel very supported by my fellow graduates of Barkan--they are always there for me when I send out a mass email. But of course when I write I have to phrase it in some way other than "help i'm feeling really insecure and i can't call studios because i'm not certified in anusara, iyengar, or astanga and i don't want to call scary gym owners on the phone and can't someone please do all the work for me i just want to teach MOMMMMEEEEEEE!" Just kidding. I'm not that bad. On my good days. Actually at the moment I'm brimming with optimism. There are actually like 983 places I could conceivably teach yoga in this city and I haven't even started to contact them. And I just called and left a voicemail for a personal training studio who advertised on Craigslist, and didn't say "um" once! That I am aware of. Best of all, I get to teach in only a few hours. Yipes, I'd better eat something! Don't want to go flop-bot mid-class!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home