1.26.2005

firsts

I did full camel pose for the first time ever, in yoga class today. Now it's NOT a big deal. Most people who have been doing Bikram's series for a few months can bust a full camel. Just not me. And I've been doing Bikram's on and off for five years. It's a big fear pose for me (and can be for a lot of people.) I know this will sound hippy dippy to those of you who don't practice yoga but I swear it's chemically true: certain yoga poses cause involuntary emotions. Most of these emotions are good and most of them are mild, but occasionally not. I did this one forward pose one time--can't remember which one, it was a freestyle yoga class, not the Bikram's series--and once in the pose, I felt utterly sad and panicky. I was about to start sobbing, so I backed out of the pose. Anyway, back bends involve a lot of, as they say, opening of the body, the fuller the back bend, the greater degree of openness (mental and physical) required, and that can be a challenge. Maybe more so for us inwardly directed perfectionist types. ("No, don't open me up there, thanks!") I guess I have been in the habit of regarding certain poses as "hard" or "not my favorites" and gritting my teeth through them, and I know that's not the yoga way. Each time I started into camel pose I felt FEAR FEAR FEAR NO NO NO!! Maybe the fact that this is only my second class after two months without helped, but as we went into this pose today, I thought to myself, no fear, be open, think about the color blue. (Granted, I've tried these thoughts before.) I always felt like it was this HUGE distance behind me from my hands to my ankles when I began the pose. An unbridgeable void. And today I just thought, well, the ankles have to be back there somewhere, and I REEEEACHED.

And there they were. Just my ankles. And I was OOOOPENING up. It felt awesome. Then we had to come back up. Interesting. Interesting. OK, I got into it, there must be a way out...I kind of flung myself out of it, luckily without hitting the woman next to me, and I must have freaked out the instructor, because I got some "personal instruction" on the second set of the pose--it felt even better! I'm elated. I fear no (Bikram's) yoga pose.

Next step is the Power Vinyasa class. I've done it twice and my ass was telling the tale for a week afterward each time. I have to conquer my fear of that next. I figure once I've been going to Bikram's twice a week for two months, I'll go to Vinyasa. It's a different series every time, too. We fear change.

Got the second estimate on the sinking corner of the house, and put all the stuff I cleaned out of my house in NOVEMBER into my car to take to Goodwill/other worthy cause. Tomorrow. Yee haw. MSH is going to be so proud of all my PRODUCTIVA activities!! So one of the things I was donating was a toaster oven, and since someone deserving is going to actually use it, I couldn't donate it as it was--full of crumbs and covered with gross kitchen spatter. So I took about ten minutes and scrubbed it up and it is now a toaster oven which would brighten any kitchen. Which begs the question, in all the time I have owned said toaster oven WHY IS THIS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE CLEANED IT?! See, this is why I need Cheryl Mendelson's brilliant housekeeping manual....

I have decided not emailing or phoning during work hours is pointless.

But at home, it is nice. I did have the contractor AND a freecycler over tonight so I really DID break the rules, but it was for good reasons. The freecycler was megachatty, though--you'd have thought I was her best friend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Colette! Enjoy your retreat.

10:03 AM, January 27, 2005

 
Blogger Felicity said...

Day 5 of Sister's semi-retreat thing.

We're not sure we can take much more of this. Symptoms include involuntary abortive movements toward the phone, sudden spats of typing that fade into silence, not knowing where to go and what to do, and dumping all one's emotional trauma on one's boyfriend instead of smearing it around.

*sniff* I'm sure it's very good and healthy and stuff. For you.

P.S. Just kidding, don't worry about me!

12:58 AM, January 28, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home