1.24.2005

Semi Retreat Thingy, Day 2

I don't know how much of a retreat it is to be at work since I can jawbone with my jolly coworkers all day, but I did find it a relief to have personal email, news sites, and the twenty or thirty blogs I read be off-limits. Got more done, too, and it was a good thing--as it was I was there until 7 PM working on the latest tax crisis. Blegh. Just put a tasty quiche in the oven. Pretty easy to cook, esp. when you don't make the crust from scratch, and it's highly proteinous. I had to eat a cheese stick, goldfish crackers, and some famous amos cookies just now, though, since it won't be done for almost an hour and it's already 7:55. Somehow when I got home at 7:15, I looked at my watch and said to myself "Oh, I can make quiche [baking time=1hr] and eat dinner at 8:15, not bad!"

I think about MSH a lot. I embarked on a search for his ultimate barber, Rusty, today. Rusty used to work at Hair on the Square near MSH's work. It was a victory for me to have him even consult a barber (he was cutting his own hair with predictably mixed results--hey, kudos to those of you who can do it, but for some people, it just doesn't work!) but MSH was VERY pleased with the results. Then, not long after MSH discovered him, Rusty decamped to another salon in Capitol Hill. Capitol Hill is a neighborhood in which MSH loathes to drive or park, and for which he has a general distaste I trace to the Incident of the Dredlocked Man Jumping Out From Behind a Tree to Scare Us at Night (TM.) So MSH let Rusty pass on, but eventually discovered through trial and error that Rusty is "the only person on earth [in his price range] who can cut [his] hair!" So one of my little tasks this week in MSH's absence was to call each Capitol Hill barber and salon until I found the rare and wondrous Rusty. (For the record, I'm going to cut that rule about not visiting other websites--I have to visit some for work, plus I have things on my To Do list which require the internet!) I assembled a reasonably comprehensive list of barbers via Seattle.citysearch and began by clicking on the website for the first one on the list. You know where this is going. The front page of the site listed the barbers' names and displayed photos. There was Rusty. As they say on the Staples commercial, that was easy!

Came home on my lunch break, did dishes, switched laundry, and put up a thermometer outside thekitchen window. It was sunny and the kitchen was a very pleasant place to be. It really feels like spring--there was even a tuneful bird tweeting outside the office this morning. That would be great except it's not yet February and if we don't have any more winter coming, we're totally effed for the summer, and not just the snowboard instructors, who won't have enough cash for the requisite supplies of Rolling Rock and dooby. Sorry, straight-edge snowboard instructors, I meant...fresh carrot juice and subscriptions to "The Economist."

Huzzah! Quiche is done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home