12.03.2004

A Paean to the Old 97s' "Designs On You"

I am sitting here invoicing and listening to the Old 97s album "Satellite Rides." These guys are amazing. And "Designs On You" is the most amazing song.

It starts out well-behaved and regular-sounding. You don't know where it's going to take you. It crescendos. It opens up. It has big guitars. It's sweet. It's deceptive. It yearns. It gets to that pleading, needing part of romance. The veiled motive. The pretending innocence. It makes me want to dance. It makes me want to love. It makes me want to sing. It makes me want to screw. It makes me want to quit my job, learn guitar, and find a gang of troubadours with whom to tour North America in a camper van. It makes me feel free. All of a sudden, these invoices ROCK!!!

Find this song, folks. Buy it, download, rip it, burn it, shred it, do whatever you kids are doing these days. But get it, and listen to it, and then turn it up, and listen to it again. Because it is fucking rad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home